Friday, August 27, 2010

That's What its all About

The other day a friend of mine posted on Facebook that she felt as though she were "caught in the thick of thin things." What a phrase! It really got me thinking about what it means to be "caught in the thick of thin things." And I decided that to me it means to be caught up in, or distracted by, things that just really aren't that important in the whole scheme of things, and I realized that this is exactly where I am right now. I think that as wives and mothers, and that especially as women, we are constantly bombarded with these ideals and expectations, about how we should look, how our families should look, how we should act, how they should act, how we should be spending our time, our money, our talents, and the list goes on and on. And I realized that the key is weeding through it all and determining what really matters in our lives and letting all the rest just fall away.

So, I figure...

Its not about how perfect my table and my meal look at dinnertime.
Its not about how thin my thighs are or how tan the rest of me is.
Its not about keeping up with the latest trends.
Its not about spotless children with sparkling clean hands and flatened hair.
Its not about a perfectly tidy home.
And its not about fitting into some wife or mom or woman mold that is one size fits all.

Its about my children knowing they can count on a hot meal at the table each night.
Its about being happy with myself inside and out.
Its about knowing that my toddler's strike on potty training is not the end of the world.
Its about focusing on my strengths and not on my weaknesses.
Its about getting down on the floor and playing with my kids, building forts, reading stories together and tickling tiny toes.
Its about knowing that my child's meltdown in the supermarket does not mean that I am a bad parent.
Its about accepting that sometimes my sons hair will pop up like Alfalfa's no matter what I do to it.
Its about scripture stories and prayers before bed.
Its about slobbery baby kisses and tiny hugs.
Its about clean laundry and bubble baths every other night.
Its about counting my blessings, even when nothing seems to be going my way.
And its about doing the best I can for my family every day and knowing that the Lord will make up the difference.

So, in the end, I guess that's really what its all about.

1 comment:

  1. Well said. It really makes a difference for my kids when I actually get on the floor to play. The day goes smoother, they're happier, and the things that are MOST important get done.

    ReplyDelete