Wednesday, September 1, 2010

One Odd Town

So, I want to start by saying that I LOVE MY TOWN! There are some really wonderful things here, like the great art scene, the theater, wonderful restaurant's, beautiful natural surroundings and tons of opportunities for biking, hiking and any other outdoor activity your little heart could possibly desire. I also love the eclecticness (did I just make up a word?) of the people and the fact that an outing to the public library at any given time of day means finding at least three breastfeeding mom's in the children's section, nursing, uncovered in the comfy chairs (and just in case you think I'm being sarcastic about this part, I'm not. I think breastfeeding is natural and wonderful and that mother's should feel comfortable doing it wherever and whenever their babies are hungry).

All of that being said, I have decided that my town is one odd town.

First point of reference: nudity was JUST RECENTLY outlawed within city limits. Prior to this we had several locals who enjoyed biking, skating, and walking past the local elementary school in the buff.

Second point of reference: Today on an outing to the park with my boys we were greeted by the sight of a grown man wearing nothing but briefs (and I mean underwear), pushing a naked toddler on a swing.

But wait, it gets better.

Even though the scene made me slightly uncomfortable, I decided to stay because I had promised DJ a trip to that specific park. Besides, I reasoned, the man's sensitive parts were still covered and, while I wouldn't allow my own children to play naked in a public setting, I don't find a naked toddler offensive (especially considering he was another little boy). So, DJ played and I tried to enjoy the nice weather and act natural, even when the scantily clad man came over to ask how old my baby was and when he offered to push DJ on the merry-go-round with his son (which, by the way, DJ refused). But the amount of comfort I felt quickly disappeared when the naked toddler's mom arrived at the park, greeted him and the man, and then proceeded to remove her own pants. She was, thankfully, wearing a shirt long enough to cover up her own sensitive parts, however I decided it was time to go.

Lesson learned: When you live in an odd town, you're bound to see odd things.

1 comment: