Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Heaven...

Baking a big batch of chocolate chip banana bread with this little guy licking the beaters and wordlessly begging for chocolate chips every few minutes. Adele and some other soulful sisters, and a little Matt Kearney for good measure, blaring in the background. Big brother and Daddy in the living room bonding over a little game of Batman Lego.

I finally gave in to the boys charms (and the fact that he was dripping batter on the living room carpet) and set him up in his very own chair with a cup of chocolate chips all for him, though he did insist on sharing them with me. So sweet!

And even though this blissful, peaceful moment quickly melted into exclamations of "Mommy no sing! Only boy do that!" (Matt was offering up a little "Ships in the Night" at the moment) and big brother crying loudly over the end of his game and being faced with the duty of setting the table for dinner, it was still precious while it lasted.

If you'd like to bake up your very own loaf of Banana-y goodness here is my all time favorite recipe...

World's Best Banana Bread
Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened (melted works too)
2 cups mashed banana (you could put more or less, whatever you have on hand, I like more)
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips and/or nuts to taste (optional)
Instructions:
In bowl, cream together sugar and butter. Beat in banana, eggs and vanilla. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Fold in chips and/or nuts. Pour into greased loaf pan. Cover loosely with a tent of foil (this part is important!). Bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for about 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

To be honest I'm not sure where I originally found this recipe (foodnetwork maybe?) but hands down this is the best banana bread recipe I have ever tried. I like it with LOTS of mashed banana. Tonight I made it with milk chocolate chips, but semi-sweet are also good as well as pecans or walnuts. Its also great without any chips or nuts at all. Sometimes I also bake it in muffin cups, if you do that bake them at the same temperature but only for 25 minutes. Also, I have a large loaf pan (I actually don't know if you can buy small loaf pans anymore) so it often takes longer then 60 minutes to bake, maybe 15 or 20 minutes longer depending on your oven and how full you fill the loaf pan (I may or may not cram as much batter into the loaf pan as is humanly possible).

Enjoy!

P.S. the crock pot chicken recipe I tried last night was just o.k. I'm on the lookout for another one to try sometime soon so if you have a good one send it my way. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment